- Report on first COVID-19 vaccination coverage in England for those 16 years of age or older, based on the population of 23.4m people registered with practices that use TPP SystmOne software. UPDATE: we are no longer updating these reports on a regular basis. If you do rely on these reports and data releases in your own work, please get in touch at the email address below.
- Get in touch and tell us how you use this report or new features you'd like to see: email@example.com
- First published
- 22 Dec 2020
- Last released
- 17 Aug 2022
OpenSAFELY COVID Vaccine coverage report¶
OpenSAFELY is a new secure analytics platform for electronic patient records built on behalf of NHS England to deliver urgent academic and operational research during the pandemic.
This is our most recent weekly report on COVID-19 vaccination coverage in England using data from 40% of general practices that use TPP electronic health record software. The data requires careful interpretation and there are a number of caveats. Please read the full detail about our methods and discussion of our earlier results (as of 17 March 2021) in our peer-reviewed publication in the British Journal of General Practice.
The full analytical methods behind the latest results in this report are available here.
Update: Our vaccine reports are no longer being updated. If you rely on more regular data updates for your own reporting or analysis please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
- Summary Charts
- Charts: Trends in first dose vaccination coverage according to demographic/clinical features, for:
- Appendix: Proportion of each population group for whom ethnicity is known
- As of 29 Nov 2021, patient age is calculated at 31 Aug 2021 (previously 31 March 2021), in line with national reporting.
- The care home group is defined based on patients (aged 65+) having one of these codes.
- The shielding group is defined based on patients (aged 16-69) having one of these codes provided it was not superceded by one of these codes.
- The LD (learning disability) group is defined based on patients (aged 16-64) having one of these codes and excludes people who are shielding.
- Patients are counted in their highest risk category only; e.g. a 65-year-old who is shielding is only counted in the shielding group, not in the 65-69 group.
- The housebound group is defined based on this codelist and excludes people who were later recorded as not housebound or in a care home. ####
|first dose as at 22 Jun 2022||second dose as at 22 Jun 2022||third dose as at 22 Jun 2022|
|Total vaccinated in TPP||17,026,653||16,305,653||13,316,723|
|80+||97.0% (1,121,491 of 1,156,330)||96.3% (1,113,672 of 1,156,330)||93.9% (1,085,896 of 1,156,330)|
|70-79||96.2% (2,074,576 of 2,157,470)||95.4% (2,057,307 of 2,157,470)||92.6% (1,998,185 of 2,157,470)|
|care home||96.7% (113,505 of 117,341)||94.0% (110,278 of 117,341)||89.3% (104,832 of 117,341)|
|shielding (aged 16-69)||92.1% (735,924 of 799,470)||89.8% (717,661 of 799,470)||77.1% (616,196 of 799,470)|
|65-69||93.6% (1,053,311 of 1,125,215)||92.4% (1,039,703 of 1,125,215)||88.0% (990,381 of 1,125,215)|
|LD (aged 16-64)||88.2% (77,427 of 87,794)||84.3% (74,039 of 87,794)||69.6% (61,096 of 87,794)|
|60-64||92.1% (1,253,259 of 1,361,052)||90.7% (1,233,960 of 1,361,052)||84.4% (1,148,357 of 1,361,052)|
|55-59||90.2% (1,414,945 of 1,568,266)||88.6% (1,389,171 of 1,568,266)||80.3% (1,259,013 of 1,568,266)|
|50-54||87.8% (1,395,947 of 1,589,448)||85.9% (1,364,839 of 1,589,448)||75.1% (1,193,983 of 1,589,448)|
|40-49||80.5% (2,434,271 of 3,024,098)||77.6% (2,348,010 of 3,024,098)||61.9% (1,871,597 of 3,024,098)|
|30-39||72.0% (2,479,183 of 3,443,097)||67.5% (2,324,504 of 3,443,097)||46.2% (1,591,492 of 3,443,097)|
|18-29||71.5% (2,505,580 of 3,502,282)||64.3% (2,253,531 of 3,502,282)||37.8% (1,325,184 of 3,502,282)|
|16-17||67.2% (367,234 of 546,658)||51.0% (278,971 of 546,658)||12.9% (70,511 of 546,658)|
NB Patient counts are rounded to nearest 7
Second doses are at least 19 days after the first; third doses at least 8 weeks after the second;
All second and third/booster doses given in these timescales are counted whether or not they were 'due' according to the relevant dosing schedule at the time.
Oxford-AZ vaccines (% of all first doses): 49.2% (8,371,188)
Pfizer vaccines (% of all first doses): 47.8% (8,144,409)
Moderna vaccines (% of all first doses): 3.0% (502,572)
Second doses and dose combinations¶
Note: second dose figures are raw proportions and do not take into account how many are due, which is likely to vary substantially by brand.
For more detailed analysis please refer to our second dose report
Second doses (% of all vaccinated): 95.8% (16,305,653)
Second doses (% of Ox-AZ first doses): 98.9% (8,278,088)
Second doses (% of Pfizer first doses): 93.5% (7,613,396)
Second doses (% of Moderna first doses): 81.1% (407,750)
Note: mixed doses counts patients with first and second doses at least 19 days apart, excluding patients with two different brands recorded on the same day or recorded on a date prior to when the given brand was available in the UK
Mixed doses Ox-AZ + Pfizer (% of fully vaccinated): 0.6% (98399)
Mixed doses Ox-AZ + Moderna (% of fully vaccinated): 0.1% (16527)
Mixed doses Moderna + Pfizer (% of fully vaccinated): 0.3% (47404)
Note: 'Priority groups' only includes those identified as being in a priority group by our methodology. 'Others' includes everyone aged 18-49 except those who are shielding or have a learning disability.